Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Until We Meet Again


Until we Meet Again: A True Story of Love and Survival in the Holocaust by Michael Korenbilt and Kathleen Janger follows two Jewish Families during the Holocaust in Germany. The Korenbilts son, Meyer, and the Nagelsztajins, daughter, Manya are deeply in love. Both families plan and prepare for where to hide when the Nazi’s come for the deportation of the Jews. Each family has a different idea and in a last minute decision Manya decides to join the Korenbilts along with her younger brother, Chaim. The novel follows Meyer and Manya as they hide and eventually travel from concentration camp to concentration camp, doing all they can to stay alive. The two are eventually separated and it is their love for each other that keeps them fighting to stay alive. I won't ruin the ending but it is a great book!

This isn't your typical book about the Holocaust and its vivid details are sure to engage readers.

7 comments:

  1. I went through a phase in high school in which I learned all about the Holocaust. My class read "Number the Stars" and I read "The Devil's Arithmetic." I even did a project after reading a book about the concentration camp Auschwitz. While it was truly a time of terror, the survivors seemed to find a place of peace in the midst of chaos. They stayed positive in the most negative circumstances. I think that can be compared to life in general. If we have a positive outlook we always triumph over our troubles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book seems very interesting. I would also recommend the graphic novel/comic book called MAUS by Art Spiegelman for upper grade levels such as high school. It is a biography of the authors father and his life before, during, and after the Holocaust. The illustration is extremely interesting, as well as the different themes throughout this novel. So much can be done in regards to lesson plans with a high school grade level. Consider asking the class to figure out what the different animals represent as well as why the entire novel is in black and white (no colors what-so-ever).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of MAUS or The Devils Arithmetic but they both seem something I'd be interested in. The number of books out there about the Holocaustic is really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite assignments in high school was to read The Diary Of Anne Frank. This book could be a great source for a unit regarding the holocaust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like this would be a good book to learn more about the holocaust. I know that in my high school, we read the Diary of Anne Frank and it really did touch me and made me appreciate what I had. This would be very informational!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book seems like it would very interesting and informative about the Holocaust and what it was like. I read the Diary of Anne Frank in 6th grade and also took a class about just the Holocaust during my senior year, there is a lot to learn and I think that personal stories from the holocaust are a lot more informative then reading from a text book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Holocaust is one of those topics that is so gripping and engaging to read about for the sheer terror of the topic. It is a great topic to teach on because we want students to be aware of how it happened and how those mistakes can be avoided in the future. This book looks very interesting and sounds like a great way to springboard discussion!

    ReplyDelete