Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Jane Austen

Jane Austen's works are noted for their dry commentary on life in England during the late 1700's and early 1800's. That said, they are a great option for both the English and Social Studies classrooms because they are an example of incredible literature as well as a critique of society.



In my opinion, some of Austen's best works are Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, and Northanger Abbey. Each novel contains an intriguing love story centered around the mixed-up romantic ways of the period. Austen was also privy to the political climate of the time period, which she makes clear in her novels as well.

One problem with Austen's novels is that she is a "love her or hate her" kind of author. I think that male students would have a difficult time getting into her novels, which are always told from a female perspective.

Many of Austen's novels have also been made into films. The recent Pride and Prejudice film starring Colin Firth and Keira Knightley is especially good! 

4 comments:

  1. Another great novel by Jane Austen is Emma. I think that students in High School would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great story. I think it would be great to teach this. Some people may not like it but not everyone will like everything that is taught. If they do a good job understanding it, maybe show them the movie if there is time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't ever imagine assigning a Jane Austen novel to an entire class...I really think it would make the male students despise me! When I read Jane Austen in high school, it was for independent reading assignments. I think it's important that teachers are familiar with her work so they can recommend it to students who may be interested. Furthermore, Austen is a fairly "easy" read as far as characters and diction, so it's applicable to a number of levels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that personally I love Pride and Prejudice. I think it can be a wonderful way to talk about the culture of English society in the early 19th century. This book is very forward thinking and presents women in an especially feminist light. This could be a great way to talk about women's roles in society.

    ReplyDelete