Monday, February 14, 2011

The Postcard

The novel, The Postcard, is a great novel written by a woman in Pennsylvania, Beverly Lewis, about an Amish community. The community has been through so much, but they have to struggle through so much more when disaster strikes.

Rachel, a beautiful Amish woman has everything she could want in life, a loving husband with 2 kids and one on the way. Life is perfect. One day on the way to market a bad accident happens killing everyone but Annie, her daughter. Two years later a workaholic NY reporter comes to stay at Rachel's parents Bed N Breakfast. For the few days he's there he seems drawn to Rachel with her kind spirit, blind eyes and fun loving daughter. Something happens that brings the two closer, but both adults know their lives are too different to be more than acquaintances.

My neighbors are Amish, so when I was student teaching some of my students picked up me talking about it. I brought in pictures of them building a barn and their houses. When I assigned a book project for my 10th and 11th graders to complete, I suggested this author to my students and several of the girls loved her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment