Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Book Thief



I just started reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (I'm about 100 pages in). So far, I'm hooked! I would have finished already if it weren't for the end-of-the-semester assignments to work on!

So far, this YA novel is really intriguing. It's narrated by death, and is set in WWII Germany. The protagonist is young Leisel Meminger, who experiences the pain of death at a young age and is given up to a foster family under odd circumstances.

A local high school teaches The Book Thief in 9th grade. It is almost 600 pages long, so it may be daunting for some students. Has anyone read this? What did you think?

I'll check back when I finish...hopefully soon! =)

UPDATE 5/9/11: I finished the book on Friday and was sad that it was over. The novel really makes you think about life, death, and human nature. Throughout the book, you're prompted to think about the power of words...to heal, to hurt, even to kill--in Hitler's case. The interview at the end of the novel with Zusak is also incredible, as it discusses his thought process in deciding on a narrator and his research!

No comments:

Post a Comment